RCA Coaches Conference
The Alberta contingent was seemingly everywhere at this year’s RCA Coaches Conference in Calgary, Alberta. Not only were there over 20 Alberta registrants at this year’s conference but Alberta also left its mark on the overall structure of the event. Some of the areas where Alberta colours shone through were:
* Tessa Vanderveeken was the feature speaker for the session on Building the Foundation for all rowers along the Athlete Development Pathway.
* Mark Laidlaw was co-host for the RCA Awards Banquet.
* The Alberta Rowing Association was the proud sponsor for the session on Trans-Athletes in Canadian Rowing.
* Dr. John Nesbitt hosted an RCA Alumni event at his residence.
* The Calgary Rowing Club lent out equipment and support in every way possible.
Thank-you to all within Alberta rowing for making the 2019 RCA Coaches Conference a great success
WCSG Erg Challenge
As indicated in the January Newsletter, the ARA has created a series of erg challenges to assist athletes in their preparations for the 2019 WCSG. The ergs are optional but will present an excellent opportunity for athletes to compare their times against one another from across the province and evaluate their overall preparations.
The first challenge is now closed. The ARA congratulates all those athletes who submitted their scores. The February challenge is now ready. The erg is 1 x 1,000m. 45 seconds rest (please limit rest to 45 seconds) followed by 1 x 650m. Once completed athletes are to follow the link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XWdEnjNVrZTggJr6NGA4mCLSqXUrf8yFCSVbaVtoE5Y/edit#gid=0 and input their times on the attached spreadsheet. Athletes who wish to participate can submit their scores between today and February 28, 2019.
ARA Erg Championships
There was a time when the writer would challenge athletes across the province to register for the ARA Erg Championships. If 100+ athletes registered, the provincial technical director agreed to pull an erg himself. On account of the tremendous effort of our clubs, coaches officials, volunteers to grow the sport in our province the writer is pleased to say that he no longer has to humiliate himself to spark interest in the ARA Erg Championships.
This year’s event is slated to take place on Saturday March 9, 2019 at the Blackfalds Field House just north of Red Deer. If you have not already registered but plan to do so simply inform your club coach and they will take care of the rest. The cost to register is $20. To check out details of the event please visit http://albertarowing.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2019-Erg-Champs.pdf
* RADAR Reminder. RCA Radar submissions can be submitted anytime between January 29 and March 31, 2019. Yes, the ARA Erg Championships will count towards one’s 2K requirement.
* Not my kind of rowing, but rowing never the less and great to see an Alberta twist on something unique within our sport.https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-boats-newfoundland-dories-1.4968373
* With all of Alberta in a near deep freeze thought it would only be appropriate to provide a link to some warmer days on the water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38srxjoW-I
* ARA Erg Championships – Saturday March 9, 2019– Blackfalds Albert