After 8 years the ARA said good-bye to three long-term executive members this past Saturday but their impact will be felt for years to come. Under the leadership of ARA President Carol Hermansen, ARA Treasurer Richard Galway and VP Technical Tim Fleming, the number of registered rowers and licensed officials has doubled. In addition, Alberta has witnessed best ever finishes at the Canada Summer Games and National Rowing Championships all the while achieving financial stability. Thank-you Carol Richard and Tim for your commitment and dedication over the years. You will be missed.
With the departure of Carol, Richard and Tim the ARA Board was totally overhauled at this year’s AGM but rest assured the ARA is in strong hands. Peter Walsh – well known for his efforts in building the Lakeland Rowing Club has assumed the role of President. Mark Laidlaw – Head Coach at the University of Calgary Rowing Club and former coxswain with Canada’s National Rowing Team has taken over as VP Technical. Kris Davis – a long time supporter of Alberta Rowing and a licensed RCA Official was elected to the position of Treasurer and Shawn Eccleston – a successful athlete at both the Calgary and Edmonton Rowing Clubs has assumed the role of Secretary – a position vacated by Ole Tietz in August.
CANADA SUMMMER GAMES – WINTER CAMP
As acknowledged in ARA Bulletin #9 the 2017 Canada Summer Games are fast approaching. To assist qualified Alberta athletes with their preparations the ARA is in the initial stages of planning an invite only winter camp for qualified athletes. While details of the camp won’t be finalized until mid-December the ARA is looking at the following standards to garner an invite.
- *Experienced Rowers must pull a 2K Score between a set timeframe. While at time of writing a standard has not been established athletes should look at an erg requirement at or near 7:45 / 7:55 (Heavy Women / Light Women) – 6:45 / 6:55 (Heavy Men / Light Men).
- *In-experienced rowers must pull a 1K score rate capped at rate 24.
*Experienced Rowers would be those with some on-water rowing experience while In-Experienced Rowers would be those with minimal rowing experience. Definition to be defined at a later date.
The 2015 Canadian University Rowing Season wrapped up on November 1, 2015 with the Canadian University Rowing Championships, which were held in Antigoinish, Nova Scotia. Both the University of Calgary and University of Alberta had athletes represented at this event. The University of Calgary Dino’s finished 5th overall in the women’s point standings thanks in part to a 4th place finish in the Women’s 8+ and a 5th place finish in the Women’s 2-. The University of Alberta had athletes compete in a number of lightweight events narrowly missing out in an “A” Final. Congratulations to all athletes.
- Authorities are on the lookout for three time Canadian Olympic Rower Harold Backer who was last seen boarding a ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles. Anyone with knowledge of his whereabouts is asked to contact Victoria Police.
- Olympic Rowing Legend Silken Laumann will be inducted to Canada’s Walk of Fame on December 17th.
- RADAR Submissions Due November 22nd.