Canada Summer Games
With the 2016 on-water season now a distant memory preparations for the upcoming Canada Summer Games in Winnipeg Manitoba (Rowing will be held in Kenora, Ontario) are now being put into high gear. With the games now only 8 months away the ARA has been busy putting into place a series of events that will assist our athletes in preparing for these games. Athletes aspiring looking to compete for Alberta at the Canada Summer Games should make note of the following:
- On December 21, 2016 the ARA will host a fun and enjoyable CSG kick-off gala in Calgary, Alberta for all aspiring CSG Athletes. Athletes who attend the event will have the opportunity to speak with nutritionists, mental trainers, former athletes and possibly some of the CSG coaching staff about the year ahead. The Gala is open to all interested. Athletes interested in attending this event are encouraged to email firstname.lastname@example.org . Additional details will emerge in the weeks ahead.
- The ARA will be hosting a CSG Winter Camp in Tempe Arizona from Monday February 20th through to Thursday February 23, 2017. The camp itself is by invitation only and will be extended to those who pull an erg that is within 2 seconds of the ARA CSG Erg Standard. To be deemed eligible 2,000m erg scores must be pulled between September 1, 2016 and January 31, 2017.
To those athletes who are unfamiliar with the CSG Erg Standard it is as follows:
Heavyweight Men 6:30
Lightweight Men 6:50
Heavyweight Women 7:30
Lightweight Women 7:50
Initial invites have been submitted to all qualified athletes. If you believe you have achieved the aforementioned standard and did not receive an invite please email email@example.com immediately.
The 2016 Canadian University Rowing Season wrapped up on November 6, 2016 with the Canadian University Rowing Championships, which were held in Welland Ontario. Both the University of Calgary and University of Alberta had athletes represented at this event. The University of Calgary Dino’s finished 9th overall in the women’s point standings thanks in part to a 4th place finish in the Women’s 2-. The University of Alberta had athletes compete in a number of lightweight men events and narrowly missed out on a “A” Final in the light men single. Congratulations to all athletes in attendance.
- RADAR Reminder. A reminder to all ARA athletes that RADAR submissions are due November 20th. The ARA encourages all athletes to complete the battery of tests that are required as part of RADAR and post their scores on the on-line database.
- The 2016 Alberta Rowing Association Annual General Meeting (AGM) is being held on Saturday (November 19h) in Red Deer, Alberta. This represents your opportunity to have a say in provincial matters.
- ARA AGM November 19th– Red Deer Alberta
- RADAR Submissions Due November 20th